Wednesday 15 February 2017

UNIT:X (Interlude)

Interlude (Little Box of Mysteries)



“Knock, knock,” came the voice.

Reikon turned around and standing there in full military gear was a dark-skinned woman in her 50’s. She smiled and held out her hand.

“Brigadier Winifred Bambera.”

“Ah, I’ve heard about you,” said Reikon, shaking her hand. “The Doctor worked with you a few times before.”

“Indeed he did,” said Bambera. “I just came to look in on Stark, but the man at the desk said he’s not here.”

“I’m afraid not,” said Reikon. “He’s gone to Huxley to deal with the Dream Catcher situation.”

“Oh, absolutely typical. I needed him stationed here.”

“I’m sorry, where are my manners?” said Reikon, getting up from his stool at his workbench. “I’m Reikon.” He shook her hand

“I’ve heard a little about you – the Doctor’s brother, yes?”

“Adopted brother,” nodded Reikon.

“Yes, he hasn’t said much more than that.”

“He won’t do,” said Reikon, sighing. “The Doctor likes to shroud himself in mystery. He thinks it means it’s less likely for his enemies to target him – to hurt him and the people he cares for.”

“I can understand that.”

“Well it hasn’t doesn’t him much good over the years.”

“No,” smiled Bambera. “I’ll never get over the changing face thing though.”

Reikon arched his eyebrows. “Curse of being a Time Lord.”

“A curse?” She nodded to herself. “Well, yes, I suppose you could see it as a curse. Having to change your face and become a totally different person.”

Reikon relaxed on his stool and folded his arm. “I was always fascinated as a young boy about regeneration. Not all Gallifreyan’s attain it, you know?”

“It has to be earned?” said Bambera, sitting down on the stool next to him.

Reikon nodded. “You join the Academy or the army or whatever...and then you become a Time Lord. Some never earn the power of regeneration. Long life, yes, but regeneration....that has to be earned.”

“How can you just cause someone to change though?”

Reikon smiled, knowingly. “It’s an ancient process. Back in the Old Days, before regeneration, the early Gallifreyan’s were experimenting with it. Some of those early experiments though were disasters. Or so we’re led to believe. The Black Scrolls of Rassilon say that the first person to be imbued with regeneration went crazy. There are stories – or legends – that I remember from being a child. They say that he plagued Gallifrey for generations, killing Time Lords and exacting his revenge for what they had done to him. The called him the Time Lord Slayer. They had to cast him off into the space/time vortex to protect Gallifrey from destruction.”

There was a blue spark from the metal box and Bambera and Reikon both looked down at it.

“Did you see that?” asked Bambera.

“I did indeed.” He peered closer to it. “There has to be a way to open it up.” He placed his hand on the top of it. He wasn’t sure of the exactly feeling, but when his hand touched the cold, metal surface, he felt like someone had dunked him in a bath of ice-cold water. His eyes rolled back into his head and he gasped. There was a flash of blue light and Reikon fell back off his stool.

“Reikon!” shouted Bambera, jumping off her stool and crouching down beside him.

“I’m alright, I’m alright,” he said, his eyes flickering open. He rubbed his forehead. “I’m...I’m alright.”

“What on Earth was that?”

“Progress,” he said. He unsteadily got to his feet and frowned at the box, which was dormant again. “There’s something inside this thing that wants to get out, but we can’t get in.” He looked to his notes and then at Bambera. “What are the chances of you getting the Doctor up here? I have an idea.”

“He’s dealing with the Dream Catcher situation. It may be difficult to pry him away. You know what he’s like.”

“Please, Winifred,” said Reikon, “I have an idea that I want to try. If it works, we crack the box open. If it doesn’t, well then, he can go straight back to Huxley.”

Bambera looked at him. She could see he was desperate to solve this little puzzle. Eventually she nodded. “I’ll go get him myself.”


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment