Saturday 25 February 2017

UNIT:X (Chapter 8)

Chapter 8 (The Spider and the Flies)



“You can’t leave us,” said Faith as the Doctor crossed to the helicopter parked on the school playing field, the rotating blades causing his hair to whip up.

“You heard what Bambera said,” said the Doctor, looking down at Faith, “that box is becoming active. I need to know what’s in it.”

“But in the middle of this?” she said, looking all around her.

“I’ll be back,” said the Doctor, nodding at her reassuringly. “My friend is in danger, remember?”

She rubbed her eyes.

“Tired?”

“I haven’t slept in nearly 48 hours.” She looked back up at him. “What do you think is in that box?”

“I have no idea, and that’s what’s worrying me. If it’s reacting to Reikon then it’s potentially of Time Lord design.”

“But why not you?” asked Faith.

“I don’t have the answers, Mrs Crossland. That’s why I need to go. The answers are there waiting.”

“Okay,” she said. “Look I’ve relayed the information you told us to Holly, Double Zero and Swift. How should we proceed?”

“With care, Mrs Crossland,” said the Doctor, getting into the helicopter behind Bambera. “You have Stark. You have yourself. You’re a bright bunch. Probe it and see what you can come up with and I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

Faith nodded, but she wasn’t convinced. “Be careful, Doctor.”

“I will be,” he said as the chopper lifted into the air. “Have a little Faith!” he shouted down to her.

Faith looked up and watched it go before it disappeared into the distance. She turned around and standing there was Stark, a stony look on his face.

“Problem, sir?”

“We have an issue in the town centre, Sentinel,” said Stark. “You need to get your house in order.”



“This is madness” said Osborne, as Taggart checked her ammo. “You heard what that thing does. It creates pocket universes and locks you away until you die!”

“Exactly why we need to stop it now,” said Taggart, checking another gun.

“Oliver’s right,” said Holly, her arms folded. “Last time you went in there you said your men disappeared.”

“We need to save them and we can’t do that if we kill the Jenkath,” said Osborne.

“We need to kill this thing before it takes anyone else,” said Taggart, heading towards the door.

“Come in, Swift,” came Faith’s voice over the walkie.

“This is Swift, over.”

“What are you playing at, Claire?” came Faith’s disappointed voice. “We all want to stop this thing, but going in there all guns blazing is not the way around it.”

“Please don’t try and lecture me, ma’am,” said Taggart, opening the door and heading out into the street. “This thing is messing with all of our heads. I just want it to stop.”

“We all do, but there are innocent people trapped. We need to find a way to save them.”

“There is no way,” said Taggart, her eyes staring straight down the darkened street. She could see the town hall building peeking out from behind a hotel. “Swift, over and out.”

She threw the walkie-talkie down and began marching down the street.

“Claire, please!” said Osborne, following her.

Taggart turned and half-aimed the gun towards him. “That thing...it showed me my family. It nearly took me. I am not going to let it use them to kill me. I owe it to my family.”

“This isn’t the way,” said Holly.

“Just leave me be,” said Taggart. “I can do this. Just stay here.”



Richard was standing beside the lake in the country park. Liam and Molly were feeding the ducks and laughing as the birds took the bread from their hands. Cheryl was supervising them to make sure they didn’t fall in. Richard smiled as the sun beat down on his head and he mopped his brow.

Life was perfect.

And then he frowned. It just wasn’t right. Something about this just wasn’t right. It was a feeling that kept threatening to bubble up to the surface, but every time he thought of this life not being right he would see...

The creature was there again. The black, triangular face with the glowing red eyes. It was standing right beside him, a low growl coming from deep within it. Its body was spindly and narrow with very long arms and legs.

“What are you?” asked Richard.

“I am what is giving you perfection,” came the voice. “Is this not perfect?”

“It is,” said Richard, smiling, “but it can’t be real.”

“It is as real as you want it to be,” said the creature. “I am not making you see this. This is your doing.”

“But why?” asked Richard, turning to the creature again. “How does this benefit you? Who even are you?”

“Your happiness keeps me alive,” said the creature. “That is all that matters.”

Richard shook his head. “This is wrong.”

“You are different,” said the creature. “The others do not question their world. They live blindly on and never doubt.”

“Maybe I’m different because....” He remembered. He remembered the TARDIS and the Doctor and Holly and Lilly. “I’m different because I’ve had my eyes opened up to more things in this universe. To time and space.”

“You are a time traveller?” it asked.

“Thereabouts,” said Richard, nodding. “I can see past your deceptions.”

“You cannot escape. There is no rescue for you. Nobody can break into this little pocket universe I have created. I suggest you sit back and enjoy the rest of your life. The rest of this life.”

The creature disappeared and Richard frowned. But this time he wasn’t forgetting the creature. Molly turned and waved at Richard who waved back. This wasn’t his real family, but if there wasn’t any rescue from the outside, perhaps he could do something from the inside.




The car pulled up and Beth and Faith exited. Osborne and Holly nodded to them.

“We tried to follow her but she just aimed the gun at me,” said Osborne.

“She’s not acting herself,” said Faith. “We’ve all had our emotions stirred up whilst we’ve been here.”

“How are your nodes?” asked Osborne, looking at the two devices attached to her temples.

“They itch and they’re making me stop thinking about Ruby, but if that helps then so be it. I kinda wish I could wear them all the time.”

“It’ll be alright, boss,” smiled Osborne.

“I know,” smiled Faith.

“So what’s the plan then?” asked Beth, making sure her devices were secure. “Cos there’s just the four of us.”

“Shouldn’t we go after her?” asked Holly.

“That’s the idea,” said Faith, “but the closer we get to the town hall the more difficult it’s going to get even with these things on.”

“Maybe we should take it some of the soldiers,” suggested Holly.

“Uh-uh. I don’t want to put anymore lives in danger. In fact if I were you, Holly, I’d stay here.”

“No chance, Faith,” said Holly. “I’ve been out in space and back in time. If anyone’s qualified to beat up a big, scary dream monster then it’s me.”

“Well on your own head be it,” said Faith. She brought the walkie-talkie up to her mouth. “HQ this is Sentinel, Midnight, Osborne and Dangerfield. Taggart is headed into the lion’s den. Obsidian, I’m expecting you to monitor any unusual activity from the area, over.”

“Copy that, Sentinel,” came Benton’s voice.

“And take care, Sentinel,” came Stark’s voice. “And don’t let the companion do herself an injury. I’ll never hear the end of it from the Doctor.”

“The companion will try not to twist her ankle,” said Holly sarcastically.

“Okay, guys and girls, let’s do this,” said Faith as they began their walk to the town centre.



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment