Saturday 16 April 2016

The Edwardian Way (Chapter 7)

Chapter 7 (The Pull of the Heart Strings)



William sat in his chair, his brandy still in hand, his eyes burrowing into the Doctors. He didn’t blink. He didn’t flinch. He didn’t move a muscle, his mouth tightly closed.

Rook had left the room to go and set-up his time machine. The Doctor hadn’t said anything to him after his revelation that he had his own time machine, but Rook saw his silence as an indication to go and get it ready.

“So,” said the Doctor, finally breaking the silence. “Nice house.”

“Yes it is,” said William, eyes still transfixed on the Doctor. His voice almost a croak.

“Have you owned it long?”

“You’re not the Doctor,” said William, ignoring the Doctor’s question. “You look nothing like him.”

“Ah, yes,” said the Doctor, looking down at his lap, “the inevitable face-changing questions.”

“Face-changing?” queried William.

“Yes, face-changing.” The Doctor took a deep breath. “What did Caroline tell you about me?”

“She said that she travelled with you in time and space. That she was from the year 2012 and that she crashed here in some kind of lifeboat - an escape pod she called it.”

The Doctor nodded and looked away. The crash. His fault of course.

“But you cannot be the same man that took her away from me. He was tall and bald and much older.”

“Caroline didn’t mention to you that I’m from another species all together.”

“I beg your pardon?!” scoffed William.

“I’m a Time Lord. I come from another planet.”

“Oh, what rot!”

“You must believe it William. I swear to you that I’m telling you the truth. Why would I lie?”

“It still doesn’t explain how you look different?” said William, getting to his feet and walking over to the bay window. Norman was walking the dogs again outside.

“My people have the ability to change their faces when the body is damaged.”

William laughed to himself, shaking his head.

“It’s true, William,” said the Doctor. He got up to join him by the window. “In the grounds of your house is my blue box - the same one that took Caroline away.”

“I don’t see it,” said William, still smiling to himself, his eyes scanning the grounds.

“That’s because…it’s invisible.” The Doctor realised how daft that sounded.

“Oh, come now, Doctor, do you really expect me to believe that?”

“I can show you it, if it’d convince you.”

“What would really convince me, man, is you taking me back to Caroline.”

“I can’t do that,” said the Doctor, shaking his head and walking away from William.

“And why not? Is it because what you’ve told me is a pack of lies?” William drained the glass of brandy.

“No,” said the Doctor, “It’s because I can’t just disrupt time because you miss her.”

William turned sharply on the Doctor, was about to say something and then narrowed his eyes. “Have you ever been in love, Doctor?”

“I don’t see what this has to do-”

“Answer the question.”

The Doctor sighed. “My personal life is not up for discussion here, but, yes, I do know of love. I know of the love of friends and family and people dear to me. And the love of places and things and objects.”

“Then you must know of how the heart aches when those things are taken from us.”

“I understand more than most,” said the Doctor. “I’ve lived for such a long, long time. I’ve lost such a lot.”

“And if you had the chance to get all of those things - those people back-”

“I wouldn’t do it.”

William scoffed. “You’re lying.”

“I’m not. I’m not lying, because I have a duty. I’m a Time Lord. As much as I may hate it, I have a duty to make sure things are kept in order. No matter how much I may miss someone, I can’t keep going back and changing things. I’ve made mistakes like that before.”

“But I’m not a Time Lord, Doctor. I have no duty.”

“You have duty to the children who live here,” said the Doctor.

William refused to turn and look at the Doctor. “It should be myself and Caroline looking after these children, not just me.”

“No it shouldn’t,” said the Doctor. “That was never meant to be.”

William turned to face the Doctor. “Time put myself and Caroline on that path.”

The Doctor shook his head. “Oh, William, will you stop being so…disappointing. You’re letting Caroline down.”

“I beg your pardon?” frowned William.

“Caroline told me that when you and her said goodbye that you told her that perfection was something that you couldn’t achieve until you died.”

William faltered. He had said those words to her.

The Doctor put a hand on his shoulder. “Caroline understood that she couldn’t have that perfection either. It was hard for her, William, but she moved on. She never forgot you, but she’s living her life now.”

William swallowed and looked away from the Doctor, glancing back at Egor, who was bounding across the grass, chasing after a stick. “Is she happy?”

The Doctor smiled sadly. “She’s happy. Her life is complicated and confusing, but she’s happy.”

William closed his eyes. “I’m glad.”

The Doctor stepped in front of William and placed both hands on his shoulders. “I had to leave her behind as well. There was only so long she was going to carry on travelling with me.”

William looked at the Doctor and nodded. “How do I move past this?”

The Doctor smiled. “Get those children back from Brighton and carry on with running this place. Life is big and beautiful, William. Don’t waste it by chasing after perfection. It doesn’t need to be perfect. You can find perfection just in this very house.”

William didn’t respond.

“There’s one good thing, though,” said the Doctor.

“What’s that?”

“I think you believe I am who I say I am now.”

There was a knock on the door and Hazel, the diminutive maid, stepped inside. “Excuse me, sirs, but Professor Rook is ready to show you his invention.”




The Wragby cottage was set a little way off from the river, nestled amongst the trees. It was a basic, but pretty, construction. It had a thatched roof, white walls and black, wooden window frames and front door.

Holly stepped out of the trees into the little clearing around the cottage and was followed by Lilly, who was pulling her snagged dress away from a tree.

“Careful with that dress,” said Holly.

“Blood Edwardian clothing,” said Lilly. “I should have just changed back into my jeans.”

“Calm down,” said Holly, “and keep it down as well.”

“Is that the place then?” said Lilly, nodding towards the cottage.

“It can’t be anything else,” said Holly. “It doesn’t look like there’s anyone home though.”

There was the snapping of a twig to their right.

“Can I help you?” came a female voice.

The woman - Eleanor - was wearing a dark, blue dress, her red hair cascading down over her shoulders. Her face was pale and her lips red.

“Hello,” said Holly, holding out her hand. “We’re friends of the Doctors. I believe you met him yesterday.”

“Indeed I did,” said Eleanor. She smiled as she looked down at Holly’s hand. “A very handsome fellow. Very tasty.”

Lilly frowned.

“What can I help you with?”

“We were wondering if we could pop in and rest our feet. We were out exploring the grounds and we’ve gotten a little lost.”

“They are certainly big grounds,” said Eleanor. She smiled. “Of course you can come in. I’ll put the kettle on.”

Eleanor turned and began walking towards the cottage. Holly made to follow, but Lilly grabbed her arm. “I don’t trust her. Who says ‘tasty’ in these days?”

“I don’t trust her either,” said Holly, “but that’s exactly why the Doctor sent us out here. Come on, we’ll be fine. She’s just an overly-glamorised red-head. What could go wrong?”

“Please don’t tell me you just said that,” said Lilly, following Holly up to the cottage.

The inside wasn’t what Holly had been expecting. Truth be told she wasn’t really sure what she was expecting, but she thought it’d be a little more homely. This was sparse. The interior was open-plan with a staircase leading up from the centre of the building and up into the loft area where she presumed the beds were.

There was a small fireplace to the left, a table with four chairs in the centre, a couple of arm chairs and a kitchen area towards the back.

“Please, sit down,” said Eleanor, gesturing the armchairs.

Weird mouthed Lilly to Holly.

Holly frowned and nodded, but followed Eleanor’s suggestion and sat down in one of the armchairs.

“How do you take your tea?” asked Eleanor, as she filled up the kettle.

“Hot,” said Lilly.

“Milky. One sugar,” said Holly.

“Coming right up,” said Eleanor.

Lilly leaned forward and spoke in a hushed voice. “What’s with this place? It’s not very homely.”

Holly shook her head. “Downright weird,” she said. “And where’s her father?”

“Beats me. Maybe he’s in the town.”

Eleanor returned to the living area and Holly and Lilly separated from each other as she went to sit at the table. She pulled the chair out and then sat down. She looked at them for a few seconds before smiling.

“We can dispense with the theatrics,” said Eleanor, her legs crossed.

“What do you mean?” said Holly.

“I know you’re not telling me the entire truth. The same as I’m not telling you everything.”

Holly looked at Lilly and then back at Eleanor. “I don’t-”

Eleanor closed her eyes and straightened herself up. She looked as though she was listening in on something. She pointed towards Holly, but didn’t open her eyes. “You have come from another time. Another time completely. 2015. Am I right?”

Holly looked at Lilly, who just shrugged back at her.

“It doesn’t matter if you say yes or no. I know I’m correct.”

“You’re psychic?” said Lilly. “Another one.” She thought back to Carlotta at the circus.

“Not entirely,” said Eleanor. Her eyes opened and she looked at the two girls. “I’m in tune with time.”

“How exactly does that work?” said Lilly.

“All in good time, Illithia.”

Lilly’s eyes widened. “How do you know my real name?”

“I know a lot more than that.” She closed her eyes and pointed towards Lilly. “You come from much further than Holly. Your life has been a cover for another life. And you are damaged. You did something bad and the scars won’t heal.”

Lilly looked away.

“Leave her alone,” said Holly.

“And you care for this girl,” said Eleanor. “You didn’t want her with you at first, but you’ve come to care for her as a friend. More than a friend in fact.” Eleanor opened her eyes and smiled at Lilly. “You have feelings for her, don’t you?”

Lilly looked nervously at Holly and then back at Eleanor. “Leave me alone.”

Holly stood up. “Come on, Lilly, we’re going.”

Eleanor closed her eyes and pointed towards Holly this time. “And you, Holly Dangerfield, feel something for her as well. She’s damaged and you think you can heal her.” Eleanor laughed and opened her eyes. “You feel it in your chest. The tug of those strings. Never deny them, Holly.”

“We need to get back to the Doctor,” said Lilly, getting up out of the armchair.

“Who are you?” asked Holly, as the kettle started whistling in the background.

“Oh, the Doctor,” smiled Eleanor. She licked her lips. “I wish I could sink my teeth into him. Drain him.”

“Drain him?” said Holly. “You speak like you’re-”

“Don’t say the word, Holly,” said Eleanor, holding her finger up.

“You’re vampires,” said Holly.

“Not just vampires, dear,” said Eleanor, as the door opened and Reginald entered, looking at the two girls with curiosity. “We’re Time Vampires.”


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment