Sunday 3 April 2016

The Edwardian Way (Chapter 5)

Chapter 5 (Return To Gallows Inn)




Six Years Ago




William stood beside the clock tower in the Central Market area, gazing up at the hands as they slowly ticked around and around. It had been only 24 hours since he had said goodbye to Caroline and her absence was making his heart ache. It felt like someone had dug a huge hole out of his chest.

“Mr Fieldgate, sir,” said a man in a long coat and red waistcoat. He had a large, flat face with chubby cheeks.

“Jeremiah,” said William, nodding to the landlord of the Red Lion pub that stood on the corner.

“How are things with your intended?”

William opened his mouth and then closed it again quickly. He looked to the ground. “I’m afraid Miss Parker has left us.”

“I beg your pardon, sir?”

“Her friends returned for her,” said William.

“But your were-”

“Due to be married. Yes, I know.” It felt heartbreaking to say those words. He had only told Hazel, the maid at the orphanage, and his mother about Caroline’s departure. It upset them, but not, he thought, as much as it had destroyed him.

“Well,” said Jeremiah, noting William’s uneasiness, “this may not be the best time to ask about this, but did you know what Miss Parker was going to be doing with that scrap metal in my yard?”

“Scrap metal?” said William.

“That’s right,” said Jeremiah, ushering William to walk towards the yard at the back of the pub. “Remember the day she arrived there was a load of scrap metal and all manner of other junk just dumped in the middle of the road. She asked me to look after it for her.”

He unlocked the iron gates and showed William inside.

Sure enough piled up under a tarp, which Jeremiah was now removing, was the twisted remains of whatever had brought Caroline to his time. She had called it an escape pod or something once she had told him the truth about where she had come from.

In amongst the metal were circuit boards and tubes and all manner of fantastical, scientific equipment.

“It has been clogging up my yard, man,” said Jeremiah. “Think you can shift it?”

William crouched down on his haunches and plucked out a dead, cear crystal. He turned it over in his hands and nodded. “Yes, I’m sure I can…shift it.”




Now




The Doctor hadn’t so much hidden the TARDIS, but rather made it invisible. Holly had been concerned that he wouldn’t be able to find it again, but he had promised her that he had done this many times before.

“Well - at least once before…I think..” he had said.

They had then packed some appropriate clothes of the era and made their way out of the grounds and down the leafy lane to the nearby town of Happerby. It was a mere 20 minute walk and Holly found the peaceful, sunny morning walk quite relaxing, although her stomach was still rumbling after having her breakfast interrupted by the Doctor’s antics.

The Doctor strode on ahead whilst Holly and Lilly walked side by side. They were both in their dresses they had worn the night before and were grateful that William hadn’t demanded them back.

“It’s funny,” said Holly, “I’ve never really thought he’d have travelled with others.”

“He never speaks about any of them. The ones that came before Caleb and myself,” said Lilly. “I don’t think he likes to.”

“I suppose it’s a way for him to say goodbye to them,” said Holly.

“I sometimes wonder if he remembers all of them.”

“Has he never mentioned this Caroline at all then?”

“Nah,” said Lilly. “It was in his last life. That’s gone and buried now.”

It hadn’t occurred to Holly before that the Doctor could change his face. She knew a little about regeneration after having heard about what had happened with the Master, but it was only now that she was realising the full extent of what being a Time Lord meant. A thought struck her.

“Hey, can you change your face? You know, like the Doctor and your father.”

Lilly smiled. “Being Gallifreyan and being a Time Lord isn’t exactly the same thing,” said Lilly. “The Doctor told me that most of the time regeneration has to be earned. I have a longer lifespan than Humans, but I don’t have the ability to regenerate. Well, not yet anyway.”

“Good,” said Holly, smiling to herself.

“Good?” queried Lilly.

“Well I’d rather you keep the face you have. Don’t go changing, Lilly. I love you just the way you are.” Holly laughed.

Lilly blushed.

Holly looked alarmed. “It’s a song. A song by Billy Joel!”

“Almost there,” came the Doctor’s voice from up ahead.

“I guess I’ll just be another companion to add to the collection,” said Holly, quickly changing the subject.

“Me too,” said Lilly. “And Caleb,” she said sadly.

“You two are different though. You and Caleb are virtually family to him. You’re special. Something different from us common travelling friends.”

“You’re not common,” said Lilly, looking sideways at Holly. “Don’t ever think that. He told me once that the people who he travels with set his hearts on fire and it keeps him going from one life to the next.”

“That’s…very lovely,” said Holly, smiling at the Doctor as he forged on ahead.

“I’m glad you crashed through the TARDIS doors that day, Dangerfield,” said Lilly, smiling.

“I’m glad too,” said Holly.

“I don’t know where I’d be without you now.” Lilly stopped and turned to her side. She grabbed Holly’s hands and smiled sadly at her. “You’ve…changed me. You’ve made me feel good about life again.”

“I haven’t really done anything though, Lilly,” said Holly.

“Just being there has done it.”

Holly smiled back at her and she felt that feeling again that she had felt back on Heliatos. That strange, alien feeling to her. It made her heart race.

“Come on, you two,” called the Doctor. He had gotten quite ahead of them now.

“Coming!” called out Lilly. She turned back to Holly. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” said Holly, nodding, her voice almost a whisper. “I’m…good.”

“Let’s go then,” said Lilly, releasing her hands and racing off to join the Doctor.

“I’m good,” said Holly, nodding to herself and smiling.

Eventually they reached the village and headed towards it’s centre. It was as village-like as anything Holly had seen before. Small, quaint and with little black and white houses huddled around the central square.

They reached a road that cut through between a church and an old, white pub. It looked quite pretty from the outside, but it also looked cold and uninviting in the morning sun.

“Great name for a pub,” said Lilly, gazing up at the sign - a hill with a gallows on the top.

“Gallows Inn,” said Holly, darkly.

“Gallows Inn?” said the Doctor, catching his breath. “I remember this place!”

“You’ve been here before?” said Holly.

“Yes.” The Doctor stared straight ahead, probing his long, departed memories, trying to find and pull the relevant one back from the dark well. “It was a long time ago now. A long, long time ago.”

“Can you remember what you were doing here?” asked Lilly, sitting on a small wall beside the road, her arms folded.

“I was…hunting for a ghost. Except it was in the future. The future of the building, not the future of me.”

“Oh, here we go,” said Holly.

“Look, it’s quite simple,” said the Doctor, looking at the two of them, frustrated, “I was here many years ago in my personal history. When I was a different man.”

“And what happened?” asked Lilly, getting equally frustrated with him.

“I can’t quite remember, but I’m starting to think that what happened then and what’s happening now is connected. And it involved Rook.”

Lilly looked to the sky in disbelief just as a big drop of rain hit her forehead.

“It’s starting to rain,” said Holly.

“You think?” said Lilly.

“Let’s get inside before the Doctor’s mood threatens to make the heavens weep.”

“There’s no need for that,” said the Doctor, as the three of them made their way into Gallows Inn.

The inside was dark and dingy. The rays of light that found their way into the inn shone through the windows at the front of the building, and the dust particles danced around in the light. The bar was a horseshoe shape. To the right was an area with a door with a sign saying “Lounge” and to the left an open area full of tables, chairs and smaller compartments for better privacy.

The place was deserted.

A man with a mostly bald head and a few stands of hair walked out from behind the bar area cleaning a glass on his apron.

“Good morning,” said the Doctor. “I was wondering if we could have three rooms.”

The man frowned at them. He didn’t look friendly at all. “I’ve only get two left. The others are booked up.”

“Well the girls can share,” said the Doctor. He turned to them. “That’s if you don’t mind.”

“No,” said Holly, shaking her head. “Not at all.”

“It’ll be a laugh,” said Lilly, glancing quickly at Holly to make sure she was agreeing.

“It’s not a laughing matter, Illithia,” said the Doctor.

“Yes, sir!” said Lilly, frowning at him and giving a mock-salute.

Holly and Lilly went to sit at a table whilst the Doctor discussed payment with the barman. Lilly looked around her and sighed. “Bit of a dump.”

“It’ll do I suppose,” said Holly. “Do you ever think about what’ll happen later on?”

“How do you mean?” asked Lilly.

“When you become one of the companions that the Doctor’s left behind.”

“I don’t intend on leaving him any time soon,” smiled Lilly. “As screwed up as my life is, I’ve found a bit of a purpose with him.”

“What about when I leave?”

Lilly looked sad. “I’ll get by, Dangerfield.”

Holly nodded. Then there was a buzzing sound from underneath the table and Holly frowned.

“Is that your phone?” said Lilly. “Where were you hiding it?”

Holly opened up her sleeve and the phone was tied to her wrist with an elastic band.

“Don’t let he Doctor see you with that!” she said.

She pulled out the phone, glanced over to the Doctor and then read her text message. She shook her head and sighed.

“Anything the matter?”

“It’s Alfie.”

“Alfie?” Lilly suddenly remember. “Oh, your boyfriend.”

“Ex boyfriend,” corrected Holly.

“What? How come?”

She put her phone back into her sleeve and exhaled. “The Doctor told me I should tell my parents something otherwise I’d spend an age explaining my five month disappearance.”

“I didn’t even think of that,” said Lilly, realising she had no family to miss her.

“I called them and said I’d gone to spend some time with an old school mate in Sheffield. I needed to clear my head. Load of crap of course. I hate lying to them.”

“And?”

“Alfie hasn’t been happy since. He’s gone out and got himself a new girlfriend.”

“Cheeky sod!” said Lilly.

“Yep,” said Holly, nodding sagely. “I mean it was never serious or anything. He was a nice guy though.”

Lilly put her hand on Holly’s and looked at her. “Don’t cry, Dangerfield.”

“I’m not crying, you daft-head!” said Holly, laughing.

“You two ready?” said the Doctor, making Holly quickly retract her hand away from Lilly.

“As we’ll ever be,” said Lilly.

They made their way down a side corridor that led away from the bar area and then up a small flight of stairs. The Doctor threw Lilly a key and pointed towards a room towards the end of the corridor whilst he unlocked a door to the right.

“Meet you downstairs in thirty minutes,” he said, giving a little wave and then disappearing inside his room.

Holly and Lilly went into the basic, wood-panelled room, which contained two beds with very flat mattresses and a single, double-door wardrobe.

Holly pulled off her shoes and then rubbed her feet. “I think I’ve got a blister coming on.”

“Wear your trainers,” said Lilly, opening the wardrobe and taking a blanket out.

“Oh yeah, they’ll really fit in,” laughed Holly.

“If you wear a dress down to the floor nobody will know,” smiled Lilly, throwing the blanket into the corner and putting her and Holly’s spare clothes inside the wardrobe.

Holly watched as Lilly gently folded their garments and then sat herself back on the bed. “Have you never had a relationship?”

Lilly looked confused. “Beg your pardon?”

“Well, you know about me and Alfie. What about you? Has there never been anyone…well, special in your life.”

“Nah,” said Lilly. “I never had time for it back in West Fulton. Craig was about the closest I came to really, really caring about someone, but even then he was just a friend.”

“And a robot,” Holly quickly added.

“And a robot,” sighed Lilly. She sat down on the end of her bed and looked at Holly. “I spent my life being scared or confused. And then when the Doctor and Caleb found me I spent most of my time trying to piece my life back together. There’s never been any time for that nonsense.”

“Falling in love doesn’t have to be nonsense,” said Holly.

“I thought you said you weren’t that serious with Alfie?”

“I’m not,” said Holly. And then she smiled at Lilly. “But that doesn’t mean that I won’t fall in love when the right person comes along.”

“Well, Dangerfield, when the right person comes along make sure they know it.”

Holly nodded. “Yeah, when the right person comes along.”




Holly and Lilly found the Doctor hunched over a glass of water, sat at a table by the window and staring into the distance. He tapped his finger on the table and looked wistful. He almost didn’t hear Holly and Lilly come down the stairs.

“You alright then?” said Lilly.

“I definitely remember this place now,” said the Doctor. “I’ve been here before - in my own personal past, but the pubs own future.”

“Can you remember anything that happened?”

The Doctor nodded. “It’s coming back to me, but time has a way of…I suppose you could say clouding things when they are involved in my own personal time stream.”

“So time obscures things for you?” said Holly, sitting down next to him.

“Mmm-hmm,” said the Doctor, nodding. “I do remember that I was here with two friends - Hex and Ace. It was in the early 21st century and the landlord was being haunted by…something.”

“A ghost?” suggested Lilly. “I mean that’s usually what causes a haunting.”

“No,” said the Doctor. “It was something else. Something alien.”

“Are you sure it’s connected to what’s happening with William Fieldgate?” asked Holly. “I mean, it could just be that you visited the same pub twice.”

“No, too much of a coincidence,” said the Doctor, looking at his water and flicking the glass.

“Well,” said Holly, getting up from her chair, “we won’t solve the mystery by staying here.”

“Indeed not,” said the Doctor. He smiled at her. “Let’s go and find out what’s going on with Mr Fieldgate, shall we?”



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment