Saturday 27 May 2017

The Haunting of Mrs. Webster (Chapter 9)

Chapter 9 (Assistant 559)



Whilst myself and Eve sat on the sofa worrying, the Doctor had rigged up some of his equipment that he had brought in the previous day. He had attached two small wires to the jewel and fixed his sonic screwdriver to the wires.

“This may not work,” he said, looking up at the two of us, “but it’s all we have left to try.”

He activated the screwdriver, the jewel began to glow a little bit and then a strange, monotone voice followed by an old woman’s voice began to speak.

“This jewel has been used to record something. How about we have a listen?”





THIS LOG IS DAMAGED. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ONLY FRAGMENTS NOW EXIST.

LOG OF ASSISTANT 559: CODE NAME - QUICK

EXTRACT 1


It is my first day on the planet Earth after spending the last 40 years on Thrax with King Tabien and his family. After a significant period of rest I am pleased to say that I am ready to resume my duties, albeit in a totally different environment.

The Hub has sent me to a small town in the South of the country known as England on planet Earth. Many Assistants have visited the planet before, but not for a number of years now. I will be the first.

The local date and time is July 15th 1899. I shall be caring for the children that belong in the Horner family. Yvonne Horner is a matron at a local hospital and Nicholas Horner is the manager of a ship builders. Their children are James and Poppy Horner, aged 8 and 10 respectively.

EXTRACT ENDS

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

EXTRACT 4


...very pleasant children, but there is something not quite right about them. They are very placid and not as excitable as children should be. Maybe this is because their parents appear to be quite strict with them. I spoke to Poppy, the eldest, and she said that they very rarely get to see their parents. When their parents return from work they eat and then have to retire to their rooms...

...my accommodation leaves a lot to be desired. The parents are in the master bedroom at the front of the house and the children share the middle room. My room is at the back of the house. Unfortunately the Horner’s have told me that I will have to pay for a bed myself. Until my first payment I will have to make do with a makeshift pile of straw set into just under the floorboards and a few blankets. It will suffice for now. I’ve lived in much worse conditions...

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

EXTRACT 14


...speak to me like that again. The gall of the man! It’s no wonder he gets through as many workers as he does at his ship building empire. No offense to the Grand Assistant, but if he spoke to me like Nicholas Horner speaks to me I would not be working for him any longer...

...cold porridge...

...seriously considering taking my leave unless something happens. I have a bed at least...

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

EXTRACT 22


I have spoken to Human Resources regarding my issues on Earth. They have told me that no matter what I must see the job through. We are, after all, Assistants. We assist. It seems I must swallow my pride and continue to let the Horner’s treat me like a second-class citizen.

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

EXTRACT 26


...shaking. I am a little disturbed by what I have just seen. James was washing his hands when I noticed a bruise to his forearm. When I asked him about it he tried to brush it off and say he did it falling out of a tree. I don’t know. And they are so frightened. I gently tap against the wall each night along the landing to signify it is time to go to bed, but James says it terrifies him. I’ve seen him eyeing up my cane with fear and distrust. I need to investigate further into...

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

EXTRACT 31


...confirmed. Today Poppy has a cut behind her ear. I have spoken to the Horner’s about this, but they deny all knowledge and have simply told me that children get themselves into all sorts of scrapes. Whilst I believe this to be true, I also know that there is something else going on. I have been here for two weeks. These are not the type of children who get themselves into scrapes. They seem to be devoid of any fun. I will wait for more evidence to...

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

EXTRACT 37


...to leave or not? I can’t leave though. Not after what I have just witnessed. James was home from school and was ill. Nicholas Horner was also home feeling ill. I took the opportunity to go to the shops and buy groceries. When I returned, earlier than expected, I heard shouting coming from the kitchen. I remained quiet and witnessed Nicholas Horner continually beating James with a cane – my cane! When Horner senior realised I was there he stopped. I have told him that, whilst a child may sometimes have a beating from their parents or teachers, outright beating the child to within an inch of his life is in line with child cruelty. I have informed Horner that I shall be reporting him to the authorities. He has left the house for the moment, but has threatened to deal with me later. I must be on my guard. Right now James’s wounds need tending to...

DAMAGE IN RECORDING LOG. PLEASE WAIT FOR PICK UP.

FINAL EXTRACT


...final...dying...the pain....

ERROR. ERROR. ERROR.

CONTINUE.


This is my final report. Mrs and Mrs Horner returned later in the day whilst I was washing the laundry. They confronted me about what I had witnessed. I told them that I was going to report them to the authorities. The rest is a blur.

As I left the kitchen I was struck on the back of the head by a blunt object. My vision turned cloudy, but I felt myself being dragged up the stairs. I heard Mr Horner bellow at James to stay in his room.

I tried to turn and escape only to feel another blow to the back of my head - the killer blow. As we all know our bodies are different to Humankind. The brain – the mind – lives on beyond the body unless we are shut down correctly, so whilst my body may be dying, my mind will continue to live. I can only hope that someone finds my body and ends it completely.

I wasn’t sure of where I was being taken, but I do know that the Horner’s took me up some ladders and into darkness. I remember seeing Mrs Horner’s wicked face illuminated by candlelight and then being thrown against a solid wall with the two evil creatures looking at me.

“You’ll tell no-one, Miss Quick,” was the last thing I heard Mr Horner say. My vision shut down and all I could hear was the hammering of nails on wood - and then nothing.

This is my last log entry. I hope those children will be safe from their parents.

I hope...all...children will be safe...



END LOG.



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment